Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Poor Hayden :(

He was given lots of ice cream and soft foods to eat, but this is where the food went... all over the table. He decided to paint our table with the icecream since it hurt to eat it. :(
Daddy decided to give him one of his birthday presents early since he was in so much pain. It worked. He played with this toy for 45 minutes and was so happy. He had his mind on his new cars instead of how much he hurt.

He loved watching the cars race around the track and crash into eachother.


My poor baby. So tired.
Bath time with Elmo. Happy boy, but VERY sleepy!

Hayden started running a fever on Friday night, and we took him to the doctor Saturday to find out he has Hand Foot Mouth Disease. Hailey had it when she was a baby and it was not really that big of a deal. Oh man, Hayden obviously has one of the other strains because he is in horrible pain. He is not eating or drinking because there are so many sores in his mouth and they burn and it hurts to swallow. We have gotten a little fluids in him by force. He is constantly drooling because he is holding his saliva in his mouth until it is too full and it falls out. He knows it hurts to swallow. The poor baby's hands and feet hurt and he just doesn't have the energy to do anything. He is so sleepy. He trys to sleep and wakes up every 5 minutes screaming in pain. Lets say the past 3 nights haven't been very good. He isn't getting adequate sleep and if he isn't, then obviously we are not either.
One funny thing that happened last night.... Hayden wanted to sleep in his big boy bed, so we put him down in it. Only to have Hannah come in our room 30 minutes later saying "Daddy, Hayden opened my door and is riding my horse." Sure enough Hayden was sitting on Hannahs horse smiling from ear to ear. :) Unfortunately he went back to the pack-n-play for the night. As soon as he is over being sick we will put him back in the big bed.

I sure hope my baby boy feels better soon. I don't like seeing him in so much pain. I don't know what to do for the little guy. I am not sure if the sores actually itch, but he LOVES having Aveeno Anti-itch cream being rubbed on his body. It is our morning and nightly routine right now. He is the happiest little boy when we are rubbing the medicine on. He calls medicine "Med-Mes". We are also giving him a half benedryl - half Maalox mixture that is suppose to numb his mouth. I have no idea if it works. He likes taking it though. So, it must make him feel better. I wish I could give it to him more often than every 6 hours. He starts asking for it after about 2 hours. So, it must wear off.
As of right now, none of the 4 kids we were around and in close contact with all day Friday have any signs of the HFM disease. Thank goodness. I hope it stays that way. I dont know for sure exactly when Hayden got it, so I dont know how long it takes to show any symptoms.

Saturday night during bath time Hayden was playing with Elmo and singing me the Elmo Song. It was so cute. He LOVES Elmo. He is one of his new favorites other than balls, trucks, and motorcycles. I sure love having a little boy. :)















No comments: